cannot connect with antivirus web sites

ffabbri 15:20 09 Apr 2010

Hi everybody. I got a McFee antivirus on my laptop but I'ld like to change it with something better. Bisides I've already identified some warms in my PC but I cannot get rid of them because when I do try to get an online scanning for possible infections the system doesn't allow me to open the page. Only antivirus page i can open is Avira that allows me to almost complete the installation but after completed the form with personal information the system get blocked and a message warning that a secure connection is required pops up. Then I cannot get through anlylonger and have to abandon the installation. I tried to unistal McFee and to deactivate the firewalls before proceding with no results. Can anybody help me ? many thanks in advance
fabrizio

onthelimit 15:40 09 Apr 2010

You need to use the Mcafee tool to uninstall first click here. Once you have done that, download the new programme of choice. I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (which is free).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 09 Apr 2010

Reboot the machine and try in safemode with networking.

T0SH 15:57 09 Apr 2010

Try this site perhaps ?

click here

Cheers HC

Clapton is God 16:05 09 Apr 2010

In fact onthelimit has the procedure in the wrong sequence.

BEFORE you uninstall McAfee download the .exe file for the new software (I suggest Avast) to a pen drive. That way you'll still have AV protection whilst downloading.

Then uninstall McAfee using their uninstall tool.

Run Ccleaner to get rid of any leftover McAfee files.

Then install the new software.

ffabbri 17:30 09 Apr 2010

many thanks for your prompt resposes. I've tried to download Avira and I've launched it after having disinstalled McFee and with the computer running in safe mode with connection. This time while extracting files it gets to a stop. Then I tried with avaast and this time everythng did run smoothly but to the end when a warning message saying that the program was stopped and that the computer is unsafe appeared on the screen.
thnaks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017