Cannot comlete booting up in safe mode

compumac 16:47 16 Nov 2009

I have an old PC that I use to try out software before commiting to PC's used daily. You press F8 until the Safe mode dialogue comes up, but you cannot move the cursor up to select Start in Safe Mode. I assumed that the keyboard Up/Down might be faulty but disproved this by starting up a programme and was able to move the cursor up and down OK. I also changed the keyboard with the same result.
Any thoughts out there?

woodchip 17:06 16 Nov 2009

have you tried using a PS2 Mouse instead of USB. you could check BIOS to make sure USB is enabled

birdface 17:10 16 Nov 2009

I presume it does not work in normal mode hence the safe mode.

compumac 17:24 16 Nov 2009

woodchip
Already using a PS2 mouse on this PC

buteman
It will start in normal mode no problem. I wished to start in safe mode specifically for the installation of one piece of software that I know has caused me problems in the past by not installing in safe mode.

birdface 17:39 16 Nov 2009

Normally it is the other way round they start in safe mode but not normal mode.Maybe give Malwarebytes free a run just to see if it finds any problems.
Could the keyboard driver need updating.

compumac 17:41 16 Nov 2009

buteman
In fact I had only ran an a-squared Anti-Malware scan about an hour before I found the problem.

compumac 17:43 16 Nov 2009

buteman
addendum: the keyboard works in all aspects in Word, Excel and other programmes so I would not have thought that it was a driver problem. I could be wrong.

rawprawn 17:43 16 Nov 2009

System Restore?

compumac 17:44 16 Nov 2009

buteman
In fact I had only ran an a-squared Anti-Malware scan about an hour before I found the problem.

birdface 17:52 16 Nov 2009

If its the Pay for version of A squared try Background Guard.Application Rules.
I could not open Incredimail at the weekend and found out that A Squared had it set for always block.Worth a look.

compumac 18:03 16 Nov 2009

buteman
It is the paid for version. At this time I decided to install the software in normal mode anyway, but it is taking a very, very long time to install. I may very well have to use my Acronis image into play. I will look at the Background Guard when the installation has completed as I too have been caught out in the past with that. I would not of thought though, that Background Guard would have been the cause. I will check that out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?