cannot check h/d for errors!

sunways 21:01 30 Jan 2006

On setting up my hard drive to check for errors, after restart i get the message 'cannot open volume for direct access' Any ideas any one ?..
XP HOME SP2............

VoG II 21:03 30 Jan 2006

This should be fixed by SP2 click here

woodchip 21:09 30 Jan 2006

will it work in safe mode less drivers running

sunways 15:02 01 Feb 2006

sp2 installed,and will not run in safe mode,same 'cannot open volume for direct access' any ideas any one

SANTOS7 15:09 01 Feb 2006

* Cannot lock volume for direct access
* Cannot open volume for direct access

This can be caused by a 3rd party application locking the partition such as a virus checker or disk monitor tool. To correct disable any 3rd party services or devices that may be locking the partition.

1. Start the Services control panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Services)
2. Select the service and click Startup
3. Set the startup type to Manual and click OK
4. Repeat for any other services
5. Start the Devices control panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Devices)
6. Set the startup type to disabled for any 3rd-party devices who you think might be causing the lock problem but BE CAREFUL. If you are unsure the device you are disabling may stop system startup create a second hardware profile and test (see 'Q. How can I safely disable a device?').
7. Restart the machine, the drive should no longer be locked. ( could be zonealarm related)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?