Cannot change ip address on second router

xpac5896 02:05 29 Mar 2015

I've done all kinds of reading but I'm stuck. I have 2 routers both of which are Motorola Cable Modem SBG6580. and a smart switch which is a D-Link DGS-1100. The primary router has all ports being used because of various Satellite (TV) hook ups, plus my printer is hooked up to it, thus the reason for the smart switch. I have the No.1 Lan on the primary router attached to the No.1 port on the smart switch. The No.2 port of the smart switch goes to my primary computer. The No.3 port on the smart switch goes to the second Motorola router which is located downstairs. The problem is I cannot get into the second router. The ip address is the same as the primary, so when I try to log into the second router I get the primary router. Somehow I was lucky enough to get into the second router to change the DHCP Server to No, but now I can't get into it to change Lan address because of it being the same as the primary.The No. of CPE's I have configured on the primary is 150 so I'm guessing that the Lan IP Address would be probably 151. The question is How do I get into the second router? I was thinking of just disconnecting the second, bring it upstairs and hook it up in place of the primary and changing it that way but, not being a networking type guy, I have no idea what that would do once I reconnect the primary because I would have to reboot the router once the address is changed and that just might cause a problem with my ISP because of the address change or would it? Yes, I'm trying to use the second router as a switch. Can anyone please give me some help. Thanks in advance.

Secret-Squirrel 09:47 29 Mar 2015

An eight-port unmanaged 10/100Mbps switch costs less than a tenner these days and would be the most elegant solution for your issue.

xpac5896 13:55 29 Mar 2015

The switch that I am using is a 10/100/1000 Smart switch. The problem is the address to get into the second router, it's the same as the primary, consequently I cannot get into the second router. The second router is being used for wifi plus, from what I've read is that the ip addres is supposed to be out the the range of the primary, and right now, I believe their both the same, so that has to be changed. Without being able to get into the second router, I can't change anything. Example, 192..168.0.1 is the lan ip address on both routers, this has to be changed because bot routers use the same lan ip address.

Secret-Squirrel 16:04 29 Mar 2015

"The problem is the address to get into the second router,.....Without being able to get into the second router, I can't change anything........"*

Apologies if you think I'm stating the obvious but surely you disconnect it from the network, connect it directly to one PC, configure it, then reconnect everything.

It would be prudent to backup the router's configuration before you make any changes to its configuration.

Jollyjohn 16:14 29 Mar 2015

Briefly connect a laptop / pc directly to second router with nothing else connected - change ip address and reconnect everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone