Cannot boot from XP disk

Catastrophe 09:49 09 Aug 2006

I have formatted relevant drive and wish to install XP. This PC does not have a floppy drive. I could 'lend' it one but the mobo socket is very difficult to access and I may even have to remove the processor to remove the DVD/CDs.

FLOPPY

I have transferred a floppy start up disk to CD but it is not recognised:
Reboot and select proper boot devives
or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device.
That is with only CD selected. (HDD disabled)

With HDD enabled second to CD the message is:
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl alt del to start.

XP DISK
I thought one could boot from XP disk but after loading it simply freezes and I have to power off to regain 'control' whereupon it freezes again.

Any ideas please?

Catastrophe 09:53 09 Aug 2006

Googled from computerhope.com:

"If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive. Second, when the computer is booting you should receive the below prompt.

Press any key to boot from the CD."

I am not getting this prompt.
BTW the HDD is NTFS formatted.

VoG II 10:08 09 Aug 2006

click here may help.

Catastrophe 10:13 09 Aug 2006

Thanks VoG but I have set CD to boot first with or without HDD as second option. I am not getting the boot from CD option.

As stated I can get XP disk to the options but it then freezes.

Catastrophe 11:40 10 Aug 2006

Well I finally solved it by transferring master to another PC as master and using the FDD from there.

Air_Man 12:54 10 Aug 2006

I get the similar "NTLDR is missing" when trying to re-install WIn XP from the CD. I get around this by using the 6 install disks (can't remember where I got the files from though - sorry). Once all the disks have been run, it picks up from the CD and installs ok. Its a bit of a pain with the 6 disks (I'm hoping to find some way of copying the files to CD and using that instead) but it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?