Cannot boot Windows XP

Llwydyn 23:05 11 Jan 2008

My son has a two year old Fujitsu Siemens Windows XP Media Center 2005 PC. PC would not boot up this afternoon - following message appeared:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER.
We then inserted the 'Product Recovery DVD' which came with the PC (from PC World). Setup is loading files appeared on screen. The final screen gave three options:
We first chose the 'To repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console, press R' option - which resulted with the prompt:
c:\>
We decided that we probably do not know enough about this option. So we then chose the 'To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER' option. This resulted in the Windows XP Professional Setup screen showing:
Unknown Disk
(there is no disc in this drive)
We then concluded that the hard drive may be faulty. Our next step was to connect the hard drive (with an usb enclosure) to another computer. This showed that the hard drive contents seemed to be ok. Only problem being that my son had set a password on his username and we were unable to open his documents folder - is there a means of opening this password protected folder when accessing it on another computer so that we could at least backup his schoolwork? (he now understands why his dad was always telling him to back up his data).
We are now unsure what we should do next - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:43 11 Jan 2008

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

BAck up all your work before doing anything else with the drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:47 11 Jan 2008

So we then chose the 'To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER' option. This resulted in the Windows XP Professional Setup screen showing:
Unknown Disk (there is no disc in this drive)
We then concluded that the hard drive may be faulty.

Certainly looks that way but you could try: running chkdisk on it while you have it in the enclosure then put it back in the other machine and try a repair install (to keep your data)

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This will only work of course if it recognises the drive after you have run chkdisk.

Llwydyn 09:19 12 Jan 2008

Thanks for your suggestions Fruit Bat /\0/\
I've just tried two of your suggestions this morning:
1. Tried accessing my son's documents folder while connected with the enclosure. The "Use simple file sharing" option is not listed.
2. I've also run chkdisk while it was in the enclosure. Errors were reported but it was unable to continue in read only mode. Is it safe for me to run it again telling it to try and repair?
I am unable to backup the my document folder as it is password protected. Is there another way of accessing it?

Llwydyn 14:15 12 Jan 2008

I have now succeeding in running chkdsk/r at the command prompt (while it was in the enclosure). Seems to have run ok (approx. 2 hours).
I then followed the instructions as mentioned, but again the following error appeared:
Unknown Disk
(there is no disc in this drive)
Both lines were repeated three times.
I then pressed Enter in order to enable "To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install"
The following error message appeared:
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The following errors have also appeared at different stages when using the Product Recovery DVD:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xF77Ba9A8, 0xF739175C, 0x00000000)

setupdd.sys-Address F77BA9A8 base at F7793000, dateStamp 41107c8f

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 12 Jan 2008

0x0000008E and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA errors are usually something to do with the RAM

click here

Llwydyn 18:46 12 Jan 2008

Thanks again Fruit Bat /\0/\
I'd already tried removing both banks of memory one at a time, but had'nt tried fitting them in a different slot - will tell my son to try this later on this evening after the footy.
A friend at a local computer company has told me to take it there on Monday if we're still having problems - probably the best thing to do.
Having owned a number of different computers over the years with hardly any problems at all, this is the second computer in our home in the last month that has had this kind of error - the other pc was a Mesh (Vista) which required replacing both memory and hard drive, although I was able to access the hard drive via a cradle on that pc also (and backup my latest work).
Forgot to mention that I have by now succeeded in accessing the contents of my son's password protected my documents folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?