Cannot boot from my CD Drive

toogie 20:22 14 Jul 2010

I have been trying for weeks to resolve Windows XP problems and in the end have decided to try the XP Repair function. However, I cannot get my PC to boot from my recovery CD even when I set the BIOS to 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot from the CD Drive. It insists on starting up windows rather than giving the option of the "blue screen" Setup.Why ?

MAT ALAN 20:26 14 Jul 2010

Is the disc in the drive BOOTABLE (full version)

toogie 16:27 15 Jul 2010

Good news and bad...I have managed to boot from the CD and repaired windows. I then updated for Windows SP2. So far so good, but when I try to download SP3 I cannot. I am using Firefox browser so tried downloading IE8, thinking that this would be an easier route. No joy as this will not download (possibly because I have not got all the MS updates?) I am also unable to accesss MS Office (error This patch package could not be opened) I feel that I am in a never ending circle!!!!!!!!!

rdave13 17:06 15 Jul 2010

Have you tried a reboot after installing SP2?

toogie 13:54 16 Jul 2010

Yes, very very slowly things are improving! Office now works and when I start my internet connection (Homecall) directly after booting, it works and opens Firefox automatically with ZA Extreme Security. However......when the connection is disconnected and I attempt to go back on line, without rebooting, my Homecall shortcut does not work (error 0721) and I have to go to Control Panel,Network Connections to connect from there. I also have to get my browser up via ZA. Any ideas to correct this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?