Cannot boot from CDROM

talia 13:56 09 Apr 2004

Help!

I have inherited an old Compaq Presario which needs windows 98 reinstalled.

There is no option in SETUP to boot from CDROM just the floppy and HDD.

Any suggestions?

Cuddles 13:59 09 Apr 2004

Are you booting from a "boot disk"

VoG II 13:59 09 Apr 2004

Boot with a boot floppy click here

click here should help with what to do next.

talia 14:10 09 Apr 2004

Machine works fine but some windows files are missing so want to Fdisk and reload windows but to do si I need to be able to boot from my windows CD and the setup does not give this option

powerless 14:46 09 Apr 2004

Some 98 CD's are not bootable.

woodchip 14:56 09 Apr 2004

You do not need to use Fdisk, only Format C:. but if you have only got missing files run SFC if it's Win98se if not post me and I will send SFC.exe

Eric10 15:05 09 Apr 2004

If you still want to do a clean install then you don't need to boot from the CD. You need to get the boot floppy from VoG's link. Click the first link and then get the Windows 98 OEM disk image from the next page. The boot disk created from this image loads DOS drivers for your CD-Rom drive so that you can access it from the command line (just select the default option to boot with CD support). Your CD will become drive E: as a RAM drive is created at D: with utilites such as Format. At the A:> prompt type E: and make sure you can read your Windows CD before you Format. Once you have a clean formatted hard drive just change to the CD and type SETUP.

woodchip 15:10 09 Apr 2004

Only problem I have had is that the Boot floppy CD drivers are not compatible with all old CD drives. As I had to fit a spare to get things working before putting the old one back in

talia 15:27 09 Apr 2004

i have tried to replace th emissing files from the OEM 98 disk I have but failed.

basically I want to access the net with this machine but keep getting error 'Rasap132.DLL' is missing. when trying to set up a connection

woodchip 18:40 09 Apr 2004

Just checked My Comp 98se, there is no Rasap132.DLL so the files you are looking for is not on the Win98 Disc, it must be a Program that as been deleted of your drive

woodchip 18:40 09 Apr 2004

PS are you just using a modem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?