Cannot Boot from CD to reformat Hard Drive

mctrout 00:53 10 Apr 2008

Hi, When I try to reformat my hard drive I have set the First Boot to CDROM, insert the CD, but I never get the message that says 'Press any key to boot from cd '.
All that happens is it asks me to press the Del key or Esc key & then opens up Win XP Home as normal.
I think I have got a virus or some spyware because I get advert after advert every time I use use search.
Can anyone please help me out with this problem.
Thanks Mac

brundle 00:56 10 Apr 2008

Is it an XP upgrade disc? Check if the disc itself is bootable with Nero Infotool click here, give the disc a clean.

mctrout 01:06 10 Apr 2008

Hi, Thanks for replying so quick. The CD is a legal disc , I have all the registration numbers & about a year ago I used it to reformat the hard drive & it worked just as it should have.
Thanks Mac

brundle 01:10 10 Apr 2008

Can you try it on another PC? Do you have more than one optical drive installed? Are you dead-set on re-installing ? You could try SuperAntiSpyware click here if you haven't alread.

ArrGee 08:41 10 Apr 2008

Perhaps you could create a bootable format disc using this first:

click here

And then boot-up with your XP disc once the format with DBAN is complete.

Terry Brown 09:35 10 Apr 2008

Do you have a Floppy Drive on your system ?, if so go to this link click here and download the boot disk file for your system, create the 6 floppy disks,change your bios to boot from Floppy disk and the Windows CD in the CD Drive
Put disk 1 in the drive and restart the computer.
Follow the prompts,continue until you get to Terms and Conditions (press F8 to continue), then press ESC. You will have the choice to repair or wipe and reload.

I strongly suggest you back up all working files to a separate drive or CD /DVD before doing this.
Terry

mctrout 00:54 12 Apr 2008

Hi, Thanks for all the replies, I have just got in & my son-in-law had got his friend to look at it earlier in the day & he found that the CD Drive was not working properly.
I am not sure what he done but the PC & the CD are working properly.
Thanks very much for the help Mac

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?