Cannot access websites

Logov 00:23 21 Jan 2005

I'm extremely confused as I cannot access any web pages at all and have had to write this plea for help on a borrowed laptop. However, I know my home pc is connected to the internet as both my AV programmes have successfully installed updates from their respective home sites. In addition, I am able to access a P2P site via its respective programme and yet cannot access web pages. All I see, regardless of any address I load is a "Cannot find server" page.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 and have IE6 installed. I'm pretty sure settings have somehow changed on my PC but have no idea what or how to change them back. Please help!

end 00:36 21 Jan 2005

just a thought (from a novice); have you somehow clicked the "work- off -line " tab on the browser file tab? I did that once and seemingly got "locked OUT" of the internet; just a thought to try:); make sure it is unchecked..

hugh-265156 00:39 21 Jan 2005

have you tried system restore to a date you knew all was well?

does a full scan with your AV show up anything?

have you checked for spyware or adware? try downloading these and burn to disc if you can and run a full scan with each one click here click here download the latest defenitions updates too for each and burn to disc also from the same pages above.

install each one and replace the 'reflist.ref' file for adaware in its program files folder and run the 'includes.exe' for spybot to install the latest defenitions. run a full scan with each in turn and delete all they find.

if you are using kazaa try running this click here

if any of the above doesnt help try installing hijackthis click here and post a report here.

Logov 00:45 21 Jan 2005

'work offline' is unchecked,

Both AV's have shown nothing present. Have latest updates Ad-aware and spybot installed and have just run them both with nothing showing there either.

hugh-265156 00:49 21 Jan 2005

what isp do you use?

hugh-265156 00:52 21 Jan 2005

"Both AV's have shown nothing present"

i doubt it would cause internet connection problems but its advisabvle to only use one antivirus product on the same computer.

did you try the system restore?

hugh-265156 00:53 21 Jan 2005

oh and do you have a firewall installed? :-)

try disabling it temporarily and try to connect, does this help?

Logov 01:01 21 Jan 2005

Now I'm really confused.

Frustrated I just wondered what would happen if I attempted to setup a new internet connection via Internet Options in Control Panel. Low and behold I was able to access the internet via MSN but only MSN and their browser. However, if I close that and try the same address in IE I get the cannot find server page again. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling IE to see if that has any bearing.

hugh-265156 01:05 21 Jan 2005

try this

open internet explorer and click 'tools/internet options/connections'

highlight your isp here and click 'set default' maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone