cannot access router/modem

The GnoMe 11:56 15 Oct 2005

Hi all just coming to set up my broadband connection , i got the settings from my isp, pipex, and i bought a modem/router thingy a belkin, wireles modem router.
i got the instructions out and it says to type an ip address into any browser in order to access the routers interface, to enable me to put in my settings etc.

however when i do put in the ip address in my address bar of ie6 and firefox, i just get cannot access page, or page not displayed.

It is hooked up correct as i have got a light on the lan port 1, and my lan on my pc is saying connected to lan. i have tried to reset the router/modem, i have tried to ping the ip address from the command prompt but it just says host unreachable.

please how can i set this up, much help is needed

Ryan

Taff36 12:01 15 Oct 2005

Which Belkin Modem Router model?

Basically you type (depending on the router) http // 192.168.1.1 without the gap around //. Check your instructions for the correct address. Are you connected by ethernet cable or are you trying to connect wirelessly? Try one or the other preferable the cable to set it up first then switch to wireless.

mgmcc 13:45 15 Oct 2005

A Belkin router normally has the default IP address of 192.168.2.1

Try giving your network adapter a fixed IP address in the same range and see if you can then access the router's web-based interface. For example, try the address 192.168.2.5 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default Gateway 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address). Once the router has been set up, return the PC's Local Area Connection to getting its address automatically by DHCP from the router.

You might also find that firewall software is blocking access to LAN IP addreeses if they haven't been added to the "trusted" area. Shut down any firewall software while you configure the router. The router's hardware firewall will protect you from malicious internet traffic.

woodchip 14:15 15 Oct 2005

This how My address goes into a 3Com

http: //192.168.1.1

Close the space before //

My router is a wireless firewall router modem

The GnoMe 21:36 21 Oct 2005

thanks guys all sorted now, as usual i can rely on pc advisor to help me out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone