cannot access hard drive data

gaf89 10:07 01 Jan 2008

few days back my computer running win xp on a maxtor 200gb(SATA) hdd started to reboot again and again as i turn it on. I can only see the splash screen of winxp before i can boot completely and restarts the pc. The hard disk can be detected from the BIOS. I tried to connect it to another pc running win xp through a USB connector.Same thing happens again.... the BIOS of that pc can detect the hard drive but it cannot be detected from windows and hence i cant access the data in my hdd and recover my data.
It will be really helpful for me if anyone could show me some way to recover my data from the hard drive. Thanx

johnnyrocker 10:11 01 Jan 2008

i would suggest buying an external caddy (not expensive) and connect to a working pc and interrogate the drive in the caddy and transfer data across?

johnny

gaf89 10:22 01 Jan 2008

thanx jonny..... i already tried it in 3 working winxp pc's but none of them recognizes my hdd except the BIOS of those pc's.

johnnyrocker 10:27 01 Jan 2008

was it fitted or via a caddy?

johnny

Fingees 10:29 01 Jan 2008

When you tried it in other pc's, Did you instal the sata driver for it.

Just6 s thought. I had one that had to have drivers installed for the windows system to recognise it.

gaf89 10:35 01 Jan 2008

johnny- i connected it to a caddy that connects to the pc through USB. as soon as i connected to the working pc it can detect that a hard drive was connected but it gives a mesage that it cannot access the hard drive.

fingees- i have connected my hard drive to the same working pc's when my hard drive was ok and i didnt hav to install any driver for it.... it worked fine. I will try installing a driver and let u know. thanx

gaf89 10:36 01 Jan 2008

johnny- i connected it to a caddy that connects to the pc through USB. as soon as i connected to the working pc it can detect that a hard drive was connected but it gives a mesage that it cannot access the hard drive.

fingees- i have connected my hard drive to the same working pc's when my hard drive was ok and i didnt hav to install any driver for it.... it worked fine. I will try installing a driver and let u know. thanx

gaf89 10:44 01 Jan 2008

fingees- i tried to download the driver for my hard disk from seagate website and it says that it does not need a driver. you can check out the webpage at click here
thanx

gaf89 10:47 01 Jan 2008

thanx johnny.... i already tried but no windows recognizes my hard drive except BIOS. i also tried to format it by booting my pc with winxp cd but it wont allow me to format or delete any of the partitions.

gaf89 10:47 01 Jan 2008

sorry i mentioned my hard drive to be Maxtor at the beginning.... its actually Seagate 200GB SATA 7200RPM

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:54 01 Jan 2008

I am afraid your hard drive is completely knackered and the only way to access the data would be to use one of the data recovery companies but they start at £1500+. Would it be churish of me to ask if you had backed up the drive?

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?