Cannot access email with Outlook or Thunderbird

joethebow 14:13 14 Jun 2007

I have several email addresses: 1 with Currant Bun, 1 with Freeuk & 1 with Btconnect.

I have just bought a new PC running Vista.

Tried both outlook & Thunderbird but I cannot access the email on either. I'm sure I've set everything up right.

In Thunderbird I get the message:

Connection to server pop3.btconnect.com timed out.

In Outlook the thing tries to connect on a Local Area Network. If I set it to Broadband connection it tries to dial a connection even though I've set 'Never dial my connection'

Then it tells me:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Both Thunderbird and Outlook are using Port 110 so could this port be blocked and if so how do I unblock it?

Or am I missing something horribly simple.

recap 14:36 14 Jun 2007

This error can appear if you have 'notify me if there are any new newsgroups' selected but don't have a news account set up. Go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/ GENERAL TAB and untick this option.

Stuartli 14:52 14 Jun 2007

If you are using an Ethernet connected modem router (not USB), then each e-mail account will need to be configured from its Properties>Connection tab to collect mail using the LAN connection from the drop down menu.

joethebow 16:50 14 Jun 2007

Sorted. The 29 day evluaion coy of McAfee security whatsit that Dell kindly pre-installed was not only bocking Otlook but was also slowing the net down to a crawl. Once I'd delted the ruddy thing everything was sweetness and light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone