Cannot Access any Browser..

Chrisann 15:02 10 Jul 2008

I am on Cable Broadband and have an Internet connection today without a problem. Trouble is I can't get my Browser up..or any up at all. I usually access Alta Vista..keeps coming up The page cannot be displayed although I have a connection. I have tried everything..checked all my connections on Tools etc. but still nothing...I am on my Laptop and I have not problems today with connection to my Browser.
So how do I get my Browser up on the Desktop...never had this problem beforte.
Thanks.
Chrisann.

mfletch 15:05 10 Jul 2008

Do you use zonealarm as your firewall if yes have a look here

click here

Terry Brown 15:12 10 Jul 2008

I presume you are on Virgin Media and using Explorer, open IE, goto TOOLS ,Internet Options, PROGAMS.
Check your default web browser, set or change as necessary.
You may have to go to CONNECTIONS, to set up for Virgin (select Lan (Always on).
Terry

aceofbass 15:23 10 Jul 2008

This is caused by the Microsoft software update conflicting with Zone Alarm. Either use System Restore to go back to a point before this week's software update or follow Zone Labs' advice click here and uninstall MS update KB951748 until they have solved the conflict.

Chrisann 15:25 10 Jul 2008

Just seen about Zone Alarm etc. on another thread tried removal of the Microsoft Fix and hey presto up comes Alta Vista.

Cheers...Chrisann.

Chrisann 15:27 10 Jul 2008

Does this mean that this will happen soon on the Laptop with new Downloads from Microsoft etc. If it does do I do the same...or shall I not accept new Downloads for the time being .?

Chrisann.

Halmer 15:42 10 Jul 2008

If it's XP yes the same thing will happen unless you stop Automatic Updates. Vista is not affected.

mfletch 15:47 10 Jul 2008

If you got to my link and download the latest version of Zonealarm it should be ok

mfletch

Chrisann 15:47 10 Jul 2008

If I download the new Versions of Zonealarm now on this Laptop then any downloads will be compatable...Is that correct.

Also how do I stop Automatic downloads etc. They usually occur when I go to turn the comp off...not sure how to change that for them to ask me etc.??

Chrisann..

mfletch 15:51 10 Jul 2008

Yes the updates should be ok

Windows XP

Start, (Settings if on classic Start Menu), Control Panel
Double click on "System".
Choose the Automatic Updates tab

After accessing the option you will be given three options. These are pretty self explanatory, but are basically

Inform you that new updates are available
Download and tell you when they are ready to install and download
Install and then ask for a reboot.

Chrisann 16:23 10 Jul 2008

All resolved now..Thanks so much.

Chrisann.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?