Cannot access Amazon

twitcher 17:37 18 Jun 2005

I am a frequent user of Amazon.co.uk for books, DVDs etc but, since yesterday, I have found that every time I try to use their site I get the “Cannot find server or DNS error” message. I have tried the Amazon.com and the Amazon.ca sites but with the same results. I have tried numerous other book and DVD sites saved in my Favourites folder and all load normally. I tried to access Amazon via one of the price comparison sites, but without success. I have successfully accessed the site by using a friend’s computer, so the site isn’t down. Has anybody any idea as to what’s going wrong?

VoG II 17:41 18 Jun 2005

Have a look for the file HOSTS (no file extension).

In Windows 2K and XP it would be in

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

or in other Windows

C:\windows\HOSTS

If you find it, rename it to HOSTS.TXT, restart your PC and see if you can access the site.

twitcher 17:56 18 Jun 2005

Did that - and it worked. Many thanks VoG. If it's not too technical how did that happen?

octal 18:32 18 Jun 2005

Do you have any anti adware programs running? They can put entries in the hosts file to block sites.

This is interesting reading on how to make use of the hosts file click here , you may want to remove the txt extension once you understand how to use that useful facility.

twitcher 18:54 18 Jun 2005

Yes, I've got 2 adware programs running, one of which managed to block a trojan yesterday, so that could well be the cause. I've made a copy of the useful site you directed me to. Thanks for your help.

VoG II 19:07 18 Jun 2005

This is useful reading as well. click here

Thre hosts file can be useful in blocking nasty sites. If tou wanted to you could edit what is now HOSTS.TXT using Notepad and delete any lines containing Amazon. Then save as Hosts without the .txt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie