Canadian laptop

FRANNY 19:18 05 Dec 2007

If i buy a laptop in canada when i go at christmas,can someone tell me any problems i will have with it,or is it that i just that i need a power inverter.

Graham. 19:21 05 Dec 2007

Most laptops are dual voltage (note an inverter is DC to AC). You may find the @ and " are reversed.

Technotiger 19:27 05 Dec 2007

Of course you meant a Power Adapter didn't you :-)

As Graham says, the laptop will most likely be dual voltage, with a switch to choose either 110v or 240v. This switch could either be on the laptop or on the Power Supply itself, though more likely to be on the latter.

pj1664 19:27 05 Dec 2007

I bought my laptop in the US and it works fine here in the uk without any power conversion, you wil need plug adaptor, I picked mine up from £1.99 and also it has a American keyboard layout. Apart from that if you can live with the above, I would say go for it.

chub_tor 19:29 05 Dec 2007

As Graham says power is probably not usually a problem as long as the inverter says 110/220V on it, and most do. I find that the keyboard is difficult on US machines as not only are the @ and " keys transposed but there is no £ sign either. You can correct this of course by setting the location to UK and then sticking on labels over the keys,I have a feeling that other keys are transposed as well.

wjrt 19:31 05 Dec 2007

check that the warranty is international just in case and as Graham says the power supply should cover 110/230V ac ie Canada and UK

Ashrich 00:01 06 Dec 2007

A tip when you bring it back through customs , have it in a case , make sure it has some other programs loaded , maybe a few photos stored on it , and send all the documentation you get with it by post to your house , it would appear to be a newish PC that you might have taken with you , rather than a brand new machine that would attract VAT and duty .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?