Can your monitor slow down your computer?

ddd3 12:57 12 Feb 2004

This is almost a serious question, since I've pretty much run out of alternatives.

I've just installed a new monitor. I'm running Mandrake Linux 9.2 and I selected the drivers from the list in 'configure your computer' and switched the default res. to 1,280 x 1,024 (It's a bigger monitor), then I rebooted. The new screen came up with no problem, and I set to answering the emails I'd gathered while I was sans-monitor. About half an hour later the computer slowed to a crawl. I blamed the internet and logged off.

Next time I switched on the same thing happened. This time I decided that I must have picked up a trojan/virus/worm/whatever and set to work finding it. After sitting and watching everything that my computer was doing ('Who', 'top', and 'uptime') and reading the log (Zzzz...), I could find nothing. Mystified, I rebooted.

The machine worked perfectly... for about half an hour. Then it slowed to a crawl again. I tried various non-internet apps, they weren't as slow as the net itself, but they were slow. Meanwhile the programme placing the most pressure on the CPU was 'Top' itself. In other words it was laughing at me, running at under 1% of capacity with the speed of a lethargic snail. I switched off again, and as the shutdown script was rolling I noticed it was having trouble disconnecting from the internet. It warned me that it was still in use, then shut down.

Next day I tried again, and I had an email from someone I'd replied to as soon as I'd got back on, asking why I hadn't written. So had I shut down before the mail had even been sent? Half an hour later down it slowed again. I was midway through a post, so I pressed on regardless of the fact that the letters on the screen were no longer keeping up with me. Suddenly the computer rebooted, and had the temerity to tell me off for shuting down uncleanly. I think I'd overloaded it.

One thing I haven't tried, so I'll try it after I've sent this (Sorry it's so rambling but I've no time to correct it. I want it posted before the thing slows down again). Because I'm a bit stupid, it never occured to me to shut down the 'net connection and see how the machine runs then...

Failing that I'm out of ideas. I thought it was coincidental, but the problem did start from the moment I installed the new monitor (Hansol 920p by the way). Oh yeah, the computer's a home-made AMD 1.333 with 768 meg of RAM. The motherboard's AOpen, but I can't remember the model...

[email protected]@m 13:38 12 Feb 2004

I can't see a monitor affecting the PC in any way. It is merely displaying what the graphics tell it to. As far as I know, there are no signals from the monitor to the PC.

Your symptoms are typical of overheating.

peterjameswhite 22:38 12 Feb 2004

As Graham says, it's a typical overheating problem.
Take the cover off the machine and check that the heat sink on the processor is not blocked with fluff etc.
In addition, check that all cooling fans are running.

DieSse 22:42 12 Feb 2004

Well a few weeks ago I would have said that the monitor could not affect the system in any way - until I met one that totally screwed up Windows - and the fault was repeatable, as I found to my cost.

When the monitor was replaced, all was sweetness and light - so never say never .....

DieSse 22:44 12 Feb 2004

PS - there must be signals to the PC from the monitor - think abut it - how does Plug and Play suddenly know when you've put a new monitor onto the system otherwise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?