can you wire two PCs to one phone line?

User-778D4545-142F-49F8-8D5B11BF3E18FE14 23:03 11 Feb 2010

Hi
I have a Belkin wireless router but it can't penetrate the walls of my flat - my flatmate's laptop can't pick up the signal from her bedroom.
We've tried a different router, doesn't work.
I have 2 phone sockets in the flat. Can we both use the same Belkin router on a wired basis, using the separate sockets? If so what adapters do we need?
At the moment we're thinking of getting an entire separate phone line & broadband account installed in her room but that's going to cost...
I'd be really grateful for any advice. I'm not at all IT literate so please use idiot's language.
Thanks for your help.
Mel

Forum Editor 23:31 11 Feb 2010

If it's not, you could just run a LAN cable from the router and plugging it directly in to her computer. Then she would have no problems.

You can clip the cable along skirting boards, and around door frames, and provided you do it neatly it would look OK.

Hi
It's just down the hall. We have tried my computer being wired and hers wireless in the same room (and vice versa) but the router doesn't signal wirelessly if it's connected to one computer via a wire.
So I thought the best solution would be us both being wired.
Mel

ame 21:31 13 Feb 2010

Something wrong here? What encryption are you using - WEP/WPA/WPA2? Older laptops will only connect if WEP is set on the router. What if you both connect wirelessly? Have you set up the router (connected via your ethernet cable) by typing 192.168.2.1 into the address bar of Internet Explorer?

ame 21:59 13 Feb 2010

You may need to look here if you haven't looked at the router settings before click here Once you're in, click on wireless option at right hand side.

ame 21:59 13 Feb 2010

Sorry - left hand side!

Hi
We eventually solved the problem by getting one of those things that you plug into electric sockets - seems to have worked, we are both now connected. Thanks for your help.
Melanie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?