Can you turn my Mcafee icon back to red?

concise 10:36 13 Aug 2005

Dell Dimension PC. Windows 2000.
On switch on McAfee icon is red. Then the following appears:

An error ocurred while initializing Active Shield
Methos:CoMcAppFactory::Register
Result : 0x80004015

Then icon turns black and clicking it informs me that Mcafee is disabled.
Extensive correspondence followed with McAfee bods who seem almost in intensive care with worry in case they can't help and who all seem to have been lobotomised and a different one each time and all repeating the same formula, produced nothing. On their instructions I have removed McAfee completely and restored it about 4 times to no avail. Eventually a "supervisor" provided a program to produce three log files, in the event it only produced two which I thought might provide a clue in itself. I was to return these for analysis which I did only to be informed that they could not receive attachments, so I enquired why they had asked for them then? This happened twice and then I got an email similar to the very first I had from them returning me to the start of the loop. At which point I got a little excited and remonstrated with them and refusing their offer of allowing me to pay a pound a minute to talk to one of their very own . . .. Since when they seem to have severed their connection with me.
I can still initiate a scan and it tells me it updates from time to time but doesn't seem to run in the background. I can always dump it for something else but don't want to until I'm convinced that a true Brit can't solve this.

gudgulf 10:47 13 Aug 2005

There are a number of possible solutions in this link click here

concise 17:28 13 Aug 2005

Thanks for that gudgulf - I wonder why my Google hunt didn't turn that loacation up? - However I still have the problem. I did the suggested on-line virus scan which assured me I was virus free.
a suggestion to modify my autoexec.bat couldn't be done because it produced the response that I was using "automatically generated configuration files."

concise 17:59 13 Aug 2005

Have decided to ditch McAfee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?