Can you switch between differen Operating Systems?

donkey090 20:58 05 Apr 2017

I recently bought a new CPU but it did not boot after installation. I believe this is because of an outdated BIOS for my MOBO. However, when I tried to update the BIOS I found that the update was only for Windows XP or VISTA and I am on Windows 10. Is it possible to switch to either Windows XP or Vista and then switch back after update? New CPU model: AMD Phenom II x4 940 MOBO: ACER Aspire T180

Thanks

Archonar 10:53 06 Apr 2017

Not particularly easily. Neither of those operating systems are supported by Microsoft. You could try downloading it from an online site but I would advise caution as most offering a free download are probably not trustworthy. You can still buy an xp disk so that is an option but you will have to pay.

Could you post a link to the download link for the bios update?

Jollyjohn 11:04 06 Apr 2017

The actual BIOS update is independant of the operating system, it happens long before Windows starts. However the Tools - awdflash or similar, may only run on XP or Vista.

Can you get access to a XP PC? If so download the BIOS update and tools and create a bootable cd, burn the BIOS update and tool to it.

Boot from the CD and run the update, remove cd and reboot.

Is this any help - click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 06 Apr 2017

You can flash any BIOS from a USB stick regardless of whether or not any operating system is installed

click here

donkey090 15:29 06 Apr 2017

Here is the link to the BIOS update: click here for all your help!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires