Can you stop others using your internet

wildhouse 11:32 05 Aug 2010

My sister t hinks someone might be using her internet connection as it has become very slow and she is having problems with it. I suspect she has never done any defrags or done any other kind of clean-up on her computer (she is not computer savvy!). But in case someone is using her connection, is there any way to stop this? Thanks.

woodchip 11:38 05 Aug 2010

Only way they can use her internet is, if she is using her connection Wireless, without the Router Encryption being setup in Wireless Router. If the Encryption is not setup, the connection is classed as Insecure

Seth Haniel 11:38 05 Aug 2010

they are supposed to stop this sort of thing

wildhouse 11:45 05 Aug 2010

Thanks - have told her about making sure her Firewall is set up. Will check if she has wireless enabled - possible as I think her daughter has a laptop!

mooly 12:07 05 Aug 2010

Is she using up to date security software ?

A "hacked" connection would be way down the list of possible problems... much more likely problems with the operating system/system conflicts or malware.

woodchip 12:23 05 Aug 2010

Firewall will not stop others using her connection, You have to setup Wireless Encryption to stop them by Creating a Key in the Router Settings

woodchip 12:51 05 Aug 2010

PS if she as her PC connected to the Router with a Ethernet cable, there is no need for the above and no one can use her connection. Unless Wireless as been enabled in the router without it being Secured

wildhouse 13:04 05 Aug 2010

She doesn't seem to have a router - daughter's laptop now defunct! I have pointed her in the direction of Avast or AVG and also Glarys Utilities. Now sending her details of how to use them.
Thanks all.

woodchip 14:28 05 Aug 2010

If no router then she as no Wireless so no one can use her connection only her

mooly 18:55 05 Aug 2010

I know what I'd do... a full factory recovery (laptops usually have a hidden recovery partition) and start from scratch.
Use the free MSE (Microsoft security essentials) for protection.

If you contemplate that then you must backup your data as you lose the lot... it takes it all back to as new... day 1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache