Can you share a scanner?

Lead 06:11 15 Apr 2003

I can see my printer across my network (barring problems noted in another thread) but I would also like to share my scanner. It's just that I can't seem to be able to do it.

Is it an OS issue, or a scanner software issue?

I only have the TWAIN drivers installed now. The other CANOSCAN (1670U) software was annoying and didn't mention sharing either.

Lead 06:14 15 Apr 2003

Sorry, got model number of scanner wrong. It's this one:

click here

Also, both PCs running XP Pro.

Gerrycan 11:35 15 Apr 2003

look on this page (scroll down to replies)

click here

DieSse 11:47 15 Apr 2003

Generally speaknig you can't share scanners - that's why the sharing option is called "File and Printer Sharing.

You'll have to scan on the system with the scanner, then copy the files across.

Paranoid Android 13:22 15 Apr 2003

As far as I know the only way to do this in Windows is to use dedicated print server hardware with remote scanning capabilities. Probably outside the budget of the home user !

Marvin

spikeychris 14:34 15 Apr 2003

This is one of those questions that are difficult to answer. I believe that the WinXP help and support files say you can (Win2K here at work, so can't look) BUT they have made a mistake with it, as you can't do it the way they say.

You don’t say what type of network you have but as DieSse and Marvin have pointed out the easiest way is to save the scanned image to a shared drive.

I have set up a scanner to only work on one machine but the scanned image automatically saves to a shared drive "learnersshared$ on 'svr1' (L:)". This allows everyone who is logged onto that account to have full access to the image.

Chris

Murray 14:55 15 Apr 2003

I think by its very nature a scanner requires users attention - putting document in, etc, so It would be quite hard to operate it from another room, without running to and fro.

Why not, as has been said, just scan it to a shared drive on the local computer, then copy it across...

recap 16:10 15 Apr 2003

This question was asked some time ago in here and the answer was that "yes you can with third party software". Have tried to find the thread but have had no luck. I think it is something to do with SCSI, but it's that long ago I can't remember what it was. Sorry.

Lead 20:19 15 Apr 2003

Thanks for the help.

I have two PCs that sit in the same room networked. They share a printer and each others hard drives quite happily. But it was a little annoying having to move the 6 feet to use the other PC to scan a document. ;)

Guess I'll just have to consider it good exercise. :)

Lead 20:22 15 Apr 2003

It is a little strange though - a printer requires just as much user intervention: loading paper, collecting print outs. Oh hum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone