Can you run an external hard drive with USB1.1?

bionicle 14:37 29 Dec 2007

My computer is getting a bit old and I dont feel its worth taking it in to get upgraded with USB 2.0. It only has a 40 GB hard drive which is now full. Will the slower rate of data transfer through my USB 1.1 mean that I will not be able to play audio and video files stored on an external drive?

Pamy 14:42 29 Dec 2007

not in the least

anchor 14:44 29 Dec 2007

My old PC had USB 1. I had no problems in playing music, or watching my own WMV movies from the external hard drive.

However, upgrading to a USB 2 card is very cheap.

click here

bionicle 14:55 29 Dec 2007

Thanks Pamy and anchor.
Is the USB 2 upgrade easy to install myself? Are there any DIY links. Also anchor did you notice much of a difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2?

Pamy 15:24 29 Dec 2007

here is guide to fittig a PCI card (that is what your USB2 card is)click here

Pamy 15:24 29 Dec 2007

here is guide to fittig a PCI card (that is what your USB2 card is)click here

DieSse 17:13 29 Dec 2007

"....did you notice much of a difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2?"

There's no difference at all when playing back, of course.

But on transferring stuff onto your external drive there's a very big difference in speed.

bionicle 22:46 29 Dec 2007

Thanks DieSse. Thats helped. I have a 30GB i-pod and know it takes a while to transfer data. I'm thinking of getting a 160GB i-pod and wouldn't mind too much about a slow transfer of initially large volumes of data as long as I can then access one or two items and play them back without the playback stalling. I think I might also follow up on Pamys link to install USB 2.

bionicle 22:47 29 Dec 2007

sorry, forgot to tick resolved

bluto1 22:59 29 Dec 2007

I've seen other tutorials on this subject and they lacked the logic and care of this one. I raise my glass to St Andrews from Trinity College, Dublin.

Totally-braindead 12:30 30 Dec 2007

There is a huge difference is moving files on USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 and I might be wrong here but I think some of the iPods will only work on USB 2.0 so buying a PCI card is really an essential rather than a luxury. And you will really notice the speed difference.
Heres some more examples click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?