Can you run 2 anti-virus programs simultaneously

g40 09:37 27 Aug 2004

Hi all, can you really have AVG and Norton AV working at the same time, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems but doesn't seem right really, Norton AV came with Systemworks you see and loaded without option not to!
Cheers,
G

CurlyWhirly 09:42 27 Aug 2004

It isn't advisable to have 2 anti-virus or firewalls running at the same time as it will lead to software conflicts.
So when I installed SP2 I disabled the XP Firewall and now just use the McAfee one as it is better as it offers outbound protection which the XP one doesn't.
CW

g40 10:04 27 Aug 2004

Hi CW,
the thing is its just anti-virus no firewall, this has a zone alarm firewall, my other PC has XP firewall and Norton Internet Security which means i do disable one of the firewalls, but on the pc in question it is only AV !! Might this make a difference?
G

bremner 10:06 27 Aug 2004

Can you - probably yes

Should you - No it very often leads to conflicts.

g40 10:10 27 Aug 2004

I will knock one of them off just in case, still, i wonder, maybe its even better!!!???
Without further evidence though i must err on the cautious side, Thanks, G

mbp 10:26 27 Aug 2004

The risks of using one AV or FW against two outweighs the benefits, although as far as FW is concerned I confirmed with Nortons that it would be safe to use XP's FW with Nortons NIS. I eventually decided to de-activate the XP FW. I am still clean!

g40 21:21 27 Aug 2004

I'm using the XP FW with NIS on my main PC, no probs so far, for the AV question on my other PC i will take the advice and switch off one of them, but.........which to disable AVG, or Norton???

woodchip 21:27 27 Aug 2004

What AV does not like is them both accessing the memory together one needs to be disabled. then you could try

g40 21:29 27 Aug 2004

i will disable one of them, maybe AVG but im not sure which is the best, maybe a matter of opinion?
G

woodchip 21:33 27 Aug 2004

PS have a look in your Autoexec.bat file to see if there are any lines in it referring to AV you can put a rem and space before the so that Windows ignores them.

From My autoexec.bat just one line to show you how

rem @LH C:\PROGRA~1\INDEFE~1\ACHILL~1\AVBLOCK.COM

that is my AV,,, there are two lines in for my AV but I only needed the One with a Rem so I could use Disc Utilities

woodchip 21:43 27 Aug 2004

I do not mean disable the software only the memory module

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017