can you recommend anti virus software please?

K.E 10:19 08 Dec 2006

Hi
My Norton AV is about to expire. I'm not sure whether to renew or if there is a better/ cheaper alternative? I'm due to get a new laptop in Jan so don't really want to spend a fortune now.

Many thanks

Kirstin

birdface 10:27 08 Dec 2006

One of the best free ones is AVG Anti-Virus+one of the best Firewalls is Kerio,And if you decide that you are going to delete Norton,Make sure you get the Norton removal tool,to remove it, And run C Cleaner after it just to make sure everything is deleted.

pennyben 12:31 08 Dec 2006

The best free AV at detecting viri is Anti Vir. Use this with Comodo FW and Spyware Terminatior and you will have a very good security suite for free.

If you wish to pay for protection Kaspersky or Anti Vir paid for version will protect you.

oldbeefer2 15:15 08 Dec 2006

Avast!, Zone Alarm and Microsoft Defender has kept me clean for months. There is a huge choice out there, though!

rawprawn 15:17 08 Dec 2006

click here a few of the forum members have been trying this which includes real time protection. I am quite impressed by it and think it worth recommending.
Don't go for the "Clam AntiVirus" which is bundled as an option just stick with the AntiSpyware program

rawprawn 15:20 08 Dec 2006

click here For the Security Suite to replace your Norton, if you are a Barclays online customer you can get the whole caboodle for £9.95 for 24 months.

bluto1 22:59 08 Dec 2006

click here or
click here.
Two really good Anti-virus programmes, but only download one of them, otherwise you`ll have conflict.

Also have a look at the second one I put up and download AVG Antispyware 7.5.

All are free so happy surfing.

Ashrich 23:42 08 Dec 2006

Don't think you can beat Nod32 if you want proper protection , you really do get what you pay for when it comes to Anti Virus software , think about the cost in time and money if your protection doesn't come up to scratch when you really need it . There is also an excellent forum for Nod click here that is monitored by expert resellers and Nod staff to answer all your questions and a good tutorial for a faultless " set and forget " setup .

Ashley

Sirpad 11:11 09 Dec 2006

I'll second that one. Have been using Nod32 for a year now and have been very happy with it. I tried other AV's but prefer this one.

Belatucadrus 12:14 10 Dec 2006
  Input Overload 10:15 11 Dec 2006

Belatucadrus, your site gets better & better!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?