CAN YOU PASSWORD PROTECT DESKTOP ICONS OR FOLDERS?

DARIO_909 12:23 10 Feb 2009

Hi there

The obvious thing to do would be to create a guest log in, but i cant (the reasons are too complicated. Anyway, is there anyway on vista home edition that i can put a password on a desktop icon? for example, i let you use my laptop while im away, but i dont want you to access my pictures, videos etc, (i have a "my stuff" icon on my desktop) so when you double click on the desktop icon, it prompts you to enter a password? if not, can anyone recommend any free software i could download to put a password on my desktop icons, and folders too?

Thankyou, and cheers for your assistance.

Dario

blazon 82 13:26 10 Feb 2009

Have a look at Folder Vault in Google

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 10 Feb 2009

Encryptors / Security:-
AxCrypt click here
Easycrypto deluxe click here
Powercrypt 2000 click here
Hide Folders click here
Folderlock click here
CD/DVD Lock click here
Hide Files & Folders click here

rawprawn 17:24 10 Feb 2009

Flash Crypt click here

audeal 21:54 10 Feb 2009

DARIO_909: You could remove the icon from the desktop until you get your comp. back.

This does mean, however, that the icon can be bypassed by going to the folder on the drive and opening it from there.

It is the file on the drive that needs protecting and not the icon.

DARIO_909 13:47 11 Feb 2009

audeal

I understand this, but no disrespect to my mum, i love her to pieces, but she'll never figure that out! and neither would a few of the poepl who will now and then use my laptop! if you know of anyway, feel free to let me know, cheers anyway

Dario

audeal 16:08 11 Feb 2009

DARIO-909: Take a look at this video and see if you can work it out from there.

By the way, I am glad to hear you love your mum to pieces. Your lucky, I lost my mum 15 years ago, two days after I my wife.

DARIO_909 16:10 11 Feb 2009

audeal

Sorry to hear of your loss, was just trying to make a point.

there is no link for a video here audeal.

Dario

recap 16:12 11 Feb 2009

You could create a New Folder on the desktop, place any icons in there, and password protect the folder.

DARIO_909 16:13 11 Feb 2009

recap

Password protect the folder how? do i need to download the above mentioned software? or is there an option within vista? if so, could you give me a walkthrough>?

Cheers

audeal 16:31 11 Feb 2009

DARIO-909: So Sorry about the link, I forgot all about it.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone