Can you network NTL?

elgar 18:50 10 Feb 2007

Recently had ntl cable (yes i know its VirginMedia now)installed and while setting up the broadband I noticed that there is an ethernet port in teh back of teh set top box. Does this mean you can feed you cable telly over your network? If so does anyone know how?

De Marcus™ 20:05 10 Feb 2007

No, the ports are disabled.

Strawballs 21:29 10 Feb 2007

My Broadband if fed through this port but only broadband not TV.

I have no modem it is internal in the STB

De Marcus™ 12:45 11 Feb 2007

The ports are disabled unless like strawballs you receive your broadband through the stb. Also, the ports are designed for use with delivering broadband to the customer not distributing cable tv around the house. You could try using a wireless sender if you don't want the expense of another box set up in another room. click here

tb64 18:00 11 Feb 2007

Your BB modem is inside the STB. If you connect the STB via ethernet cable to a wireless router (not an ADSL modem/router) you can then connect the PCs by cable or wirelessly to this router.

for eg, one os these. click here

The only point to make sure of is that the router does not contain a modem.

Strawballs 20:59 12 Feb 2007

That is the faster version of the router that I have mine is the wrt54g and am more that happy with, had it 2years now with no problems and very rarely swithched off.

elgar 23:58 13 Feb 2007

Thanks all,
I think I got a bit overexcited! (You can see by my spelling) Broadband is OK via a separate cable modem supplied with the STB. I think I will have to shell out the extra £15 to get TV upstairs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?