can you make your own shortcuts?

mco 11:30 16 Apr 2006

..I was just wondering: can you make an icon yourself and use it as a shortcut on the desktop to a particular program, rather than using the ones that come with the commercial software? If so ,how?

SG Atlantis® 12:01 16 Apr 2006

Right click it choose properties and click change icon.

Google for icon creator programs, I foudn this on Google click here

SG Atlantis® 12:05 16 Apr 2006

it's the freeware one, coffeecup click here looks like it would do.

ACOLYTE 12:19 16 Apr 2006

If you have irfranview you can open a pic you have and then save it as an icon file it then resize it for you all you need do then is add it to the shortcut the way SG Atlantis® said.

Simsy 12:23 16 Apr 2006

An "icon" on the desktop can be made by creating a 32x32 pixel image, saving it as a .bmp and then renaming it with the extention ".ico"

(You may want to make the image bigger, then resize it to 32x32. Just make sure the original is sqaure to start with to avoid distortion)

Note that doing this it isn't a "real" icon, but for most purposes will behave as such.

If you want to make it a "real" icon you can open it in irfanview, (click here), an excellent FREE image viewer/converter, and save it as an icon.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

mco 12:48 16 Apr 2006

excellent - will look into these over the holiday; thanks!

mco 18:47 19 Apr 2006

The coffe cup freeware one doesn't seem to be there anymore, butfollowing Simsys advice I made my own 'icon' and it does work as I wish but - it's come outthe same size as the regular ones on my desktop. I was actually wondering if they can be made bigger? (I do have my reasons!)

Simsy 19:34 19 Apr 2006

but as usual I'm open to correction, that for desktop icons you can't change the size that they appear at, (other than by changing screen resolution). It's a function of the Operating system...

Having said that, I've a feeling, (and again I'm rathere vague about it!!), that variable icon sizes will be something that windows Vista can handle when it gets on the shelves.

Regards,

Simsy

mco 23:19 19 Apr 2006

well, thanks again anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?