can you help seting up network

michael.25th 21:28 13 Aug 2007

hi just got a D-link dsl 2640 on bt line pc's are on xp .

now pluged all in to pc but

1 will not connect to the net that was 1

now 2 D-link is setup pc 1 and 2 are connect but i can not see shared fils and when i go in to my network places and click on workgroups i get Mshome is not accessible.......

can you help ?

thanks Michael.

Ashrich 21:56 13 Aug 2007

Have you run the network wizard and turned on file and print sharing on both PC's and selected relevant files for sharing . You can right click on things you wish to share in Windows Explorer ( right click , share )

Have you tried connecting with both firewalls temporarily disabled ?

Has the dsl 2640 been correctly set up and connected to the internet .

Ashley

michael.25th 20:18 14 Aug 2007

to the first one no do you think i shuod? i will try with firewalls off first

i do not no if the dlink is set prop it dosent give clear instructions.

Strawballs 22:10 14 Aug 2007
  Ashrich 22:51 14 Aug 2007

If you haven't run the Network wizard on the two machines then I would do so , don't worry about using a floppy or USB stick to carry the settings , just remember to give the PC's a relevant name and make sure they are in the same workgroup ( MSHOME is the default ) Do this with the firewalls on , they will auto configure to allow the network .

To set up the DSL 2640 , connect it to one of the PC's via the ethernet cable , plug the phone cord from it into the ADSL filter , then into the phone line . Turn the router on , let all the diagnostic lights finish flashing access the router set up by typing 192.168.1.1 , the user name and password are both the word " user " ( without quote marks ) and follow the wizard , putting in your user name and password for your ISP .

By the way , where did you get this ADSL wireless modem ? I searched everywhere and eventually found a quick install guide , but it is not available in the UK ... hope it will actually work here .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:53 14 Aug 2007

should say 192.168.1.1 into your chosen browser

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?