Can You Help a Newly Disabled Person?

peugeot man 08:00 23 Oct 2010

I have seen some strange questions asked and answered on this forum in the past, so here goes mine.

I have recently began to lose my hearing, this loss will be progressive and eventually I will rely on lip reading and sign language. These skills take time to learn and are not always the best solution.

Last night I was out with friends in a noisey pub and resorted to using my mobile phone to write down what I wanted to say, passed the phone around and my friends typed a reply. This was in the form of draft text messages.

I have since searched for a device that would allow text writing on a handheld unit that can be passed from one person to another to communicate.

I was sure something would exist, but cant find anything.

Any ideas please ??

jack 08:58 23 Oct 2010

click here-
Particularly this one
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:31 23 Oct 2010

"a device that would allow text writing on a handheld unit that can be passed from one person to another to communicate."

a notebook and pen sounds a lot cheaper and easier to me, always worked in class (until we got caught ).

:0)

jack 10:58 23 Oct 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\ wrote
'a notebook and pen sounds a lot cheaper and easier to me, always worked in class (until we got caught ').

Yuo are right FB - but our enquirers I gather was/is
caught up in the 'Its gotta be Electronic to be in with the crowd' syndrome.

peugeot man 19:26 23 Oct 2010

Thanks for your suggestions, maybe what I am looking for does not exist. I envisaged a device about the same size as a mobile phone, keyboard entry and a clear display.

Seems like a simple idea, but perhaps nothing on the market at this time, anyway I'll keep looking

bremner 21:44 23 Oct 2010

The best place to look is the RNID website click here

woodchip 23:15 23 Oct 2010

You need a PDA A refurbished one hear with six months warranty click here

I think they just have one in, but you can check out others on the site

woodchip 23:17 23 Oct 2010
  peter99co 23:17 23 Oct 2010

My grandchildren use a magnetic device which they learnt to write and draw on. You pull a slide across and it clears for another go.

woodchip 23:23 23 Oct 2010

This is what I have click here

woodchip 23:25 23 Oct 2010

The Acer is not a phone or camera

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?