Can you explain this?

Pineman100 18:00 26 Sep 2006

About 9 months ago I moved my PC to another room, and in order to still connect to broadband through my primary phone socket, I bought a Belkin wireless router with built-in b/b modem, plus a Belkin USB adapter for the PC.

I had a frustrating time getting the router and adapter to talk to each other - they would never connect when I first switched on the computer, but would invariably do so when I restarted it. So every morning I had to start the computer twice.

This went on for many weeks, and I just resigned myself to always starting the machine twice.

However, after some months I noticed that the problem was diminishing. Increasingly the wireless network would fire up first time. Now, for the past few weeks, it has connected first time about 95% of the time!

I haven't changed anything in the network. I haven't installed any new Belkin drivers. I haven't moved any of the equipment. I haven't even moved any pictures hanging on the wall between the adapter and the router! It's almost as though the system has "learned" to connect first time, every time.

Interesting, eh? Anyone got any ideas how this has happened?

Fingees 18:52 26 Sep 2006

The only thing i can think of, is that as time has gone by, your boot up time has increased.

In other words it takes longer now to completely settle down.

This probably allows the various drivers, etc to establish, and therefor connect.

Sometimes some Hard drives take so long to boot up, the computer has to be re booted. I should think this is a similar situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?