can you dedicate a button on laptop to say type yo

andy63walsh 09:53 05 May 2007

Is it possible to dedicate buttons on your laptop to say with the push of it your name and address come up or Email addresses etc so it saves repeatedly typing common things ?
My laptop is a hp pavilion zd7000 series. It has a fn button that shifts buttons to other functions like www., sleep mode etc..

Taff™ 09:58 05 May 2007

If you have Word installed on your computer this can be done using the AutoText feature. Things like Name and address, signatures and even whole paragraphs of text can be entered using a key combination.

e-mail addresses can be remembered also so that as you type the first few digits the options come up.

bjh 10:43 05 May 2007

My keyboard offers some custom options.

Try Control Panel... Keyboard, and see if the "Key Settings" tab exists, and offers any joy. That'll give universal control in all apps. Taff™ is certainly correct as to WQord.

andy63walsh 11:05 05 May 2007

No, it does not say any thing about 'Key settings and I don't want it for Word docs, just general on the key board to save me typing it all out in forms on the net etc.
Thanks

bjh 11:50 05 May 2007

You could try this:
click here
I know nothing about it though. It does look exactly like the answer you want... maybe!

Taff™ 12:10 05 May 2007

Google Toolbar has an autofill facility. click here

andy63walsh 18:20 23 May 2007

Hi,
I now have done something wrong every time i hit the hash key the pc goes to google and i'm not sure how to stop that now ????
HELP

Taff™ 19:21 27 May 2007

Because this thread is marked as resolved I suggest you start another one with a suitable Subject. I`ll look out for it but I`m sure there are others who will get to you first.

By the way - it helps if you mention (In this thread) what solution solved your problem!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone