Can you buy a speedboost usb stick for vista

Halmer 17:03 01 Nov 2008

that fits flush to the side of a laptop rather than sticking out sideways waiting to be snapped off?

Technotiger 17:15 01 Nov 2008

Perhaps you could use a short USB connection lead.

mooly 17:18 01 Nov 2008

What's speedboost ? Do you mean readyboost.

Technotiger 17:19 01 Nov 2008

Speedboost - click here

Halmer 18:30 01 Nov 2008

I did mean ready boost.

Pineman100 18:58 01 Nov 2008

Before you spend money, have your tried Readyboost (maybe with a borrowed USB stick)?

I've heard mixed reports on its effectiveness.

rdave13 19:07 01 Nov 2008

Don't think it's an alternative to having more ram, click here

mooly 08:19 02 Nov 2008

Hi,
Sorry I wasn't trying to be funny asking whether you meant readyboost.
It's something I was really interested in
click here

but this was my experience.
It would be great to hear other peoples experiences of it. Maybe my flash memory wasn't quick enough but Windows happily used it.
Don't be afraid to try it, it won't do any permanent harm if things don't work out.

Halmer 08:44 02 Nov 2008

my error.

Given that my lad mauls my notebook to bits it just seems like a recipe for disaster letting him use it with a usb flask sticking out at the side.

The simple solution I know would be to pull it out but I just wondered if anyone produced these that fit flush to the side of a laptop.

I bought one of the £6.99 usb flash drives (4GB) from Aldi yesterday click here. Hence my other question click here Given that I will have data on it that I don't want to share or expose if I lose it.

mooly 13:31 02 Nov 2008

Thats cheap for 4Gb. Have you tried it to see if it's fast enough for R/Boost. If it's not Vista won't offer the option when you plug it in.
As far as security goes the R/Boost data is I believe encrypted anyway. Obviously not so anything you personally store on there unless you choose to encrypt it. Thats something I have never looked into ?

Halmer 16:29 02 Nov 2008

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement