Can you believe it, problems with eee PC 900!

Fluffsta 13:11 30 Oct 2008

Hello - I have just bought an Asus Eee PC 900 with Windows XP (only read afterwards about how the Linux OP is faster and probably better value!).

What puts me off using it is that it's VERY slow. It takes about 5 mins to start up, and it's slow to register that you want to open an application. Now and then, applications just hang when you're trying to close them, or you get a split window with half of one application visible and half of another.

Now, I've read that having Windows slows down the Eee, but is this what I should expect? - because it's driving me nuts!

All I have done since purchase is load AVG, Ad-Aware and Firefox. I have also run AVG and Ad-Aware scans, and installed Windows updates (there were 31 in all, mainly security-related).

Any ideas?! Or should I return it as faulty? Or is this in fact how it's supposed to behave (in which case I'm surprised that none of the reviews have mentioned this as a problem, since it makes it virtually unusable)?

Many thanks for any advice!

I am Spartacus 13:13 31 Oct 2008

What's the performance like without AVG and Ad-Aware? If it's better then a AV with a lesser requirement for system resources may help.

I am Spartacus 13:20 31 Oct 2008

Another thought. Can you upgrade the RAM on them, maybe a 2GB stick if it will take it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?