Can you backup bios file

So Afraid 19:25 05 Jun 2007

In case it gets corrupted is it a good idea to backup.My pc has a cd-rom drive and dvd-rw drive but has no floppy drive.

Technotiger 19:58 05 Jun 2007

Hi, I don't know about backing up the BIOS and can't see any benefit is doing so. What you do need is something like Acronis True Image and an external hard drive, to back-up your entire PC.

Totally-braindead 20:06 05 Jun 2007

Once you download a BIOS file from the motherboard manufacturer you could back it up but like Technotiger I see no real advantage in doing so. Once you flash the BIOS then thats it. As long as its the correct BIOS then you don't have to flash it again. Once the BIOS is updated then you cannot back it up. Any settings for the BIOS I keep written down in the motherboard manual but you cannot backup the actual BIOS, you can backup the file you download to update the BIOS. Buy theres no real point in doing so.
BIOS upgrades by in large are only for support for newer processors, theres no advantage to upgrading the BIOS unless you need to to correctly identify a new processor.

Totally-braindead 20:06 05 Jun 2007

Buy = but

Technotiger 20:09 05 Jun 2007

Hi, pity we can't edit our own responses after posting them :-(

So Afraid 20:15 05 Jun 2007

Ok thanks im a bit wiser now.

I am Spartacus 20:19 05 Jun 2007

If you have a modern BIOS (recent) then it's dead easy to back it up and restore it if needed from floppy, CD, DVD or hard drive.

ASUS motherboards have a few tools available to do so. Other manufacturers probably do the same.

You'd be crazy not to do so if you have the opportunity.

Stuartli 20:28 05 Jun 2007

I use to have a Gigabyte motherboard that had the means to not only install the latest Bios, but also to back up the outgoing version on the chipset so you could revert back if necessary.

So Afraid 13:26 06 Jun 2007

Yes i do have a Asus motherboard and the PC is 8 months old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?