Can Windows Media Player rip LPs?

Pineman100 18:05 02 Jan 2011

I want to copy some LPs on to my Windows 7 computer. I have a turntable and a pre-amplifier, and the correct cable to connect the pre-amp to the sound card.

My question concerns the software to "import" the music into the computer. I know that Audacity can do this job, but for simplicity is it possible just to use Windows Media Player's "rip" function?

Second question - in order to create CDs that will play on a non-MP3 CD player, what file format should I use? Will Windows Media Player output that format?

Many thanks for any advice.

bremner 18:07 02 Jan 2011

No you need software like Audacity

mooly 18:28 02 Jan 2011

On file types.
It doesn't matter what the format is on the HDD, WAV, MP3, WAV losless etc as media player will still burn an "audio CD" if that's what you tell it to do.

Can't really help with the other part I'm afraid but as bremner mentions I suspect you will need 3rd party software.

Pineman100 18:34 02 Jan 2011

Could you (just for my own edification) tell me what WMP lacks, for doing this job?

Is it something to do with the fact that the incoming LP music is analogue?

bremner 18:59 02 Jan 2011

It is simply that MS have decided not to make it a feature of the program. You would have to ask Bill why.

Pineman100 19:11 02 Jan 2011

Thanks, bremner. I'll do that when I next see him.

Meanwhile I shall take your advice and download Audacity.

Many thanks to you and mooly for your responses.

bremner 19:49 02 Jan 2011

When you see him can you ask him what Vista was all about :o)

eedcam 22:39 02 Jan 2011

None of them can Rip an LP you can only record in real time so use audacity

Simsy 23:53 02 Jan 2011

"Is it something to do with the fact that the incoming LP music is analogue?"...

Yes... that's exactly it!

Regarding the file format... the audio on an Audio CD is, by definition;

Stereo
44,100 sample rate
16 bit depth

Whatever softwrae you use to make/burn the audio CD will turn it into this... even if you "start" with, for example mono .mp3 files...

If HDD space isn't an issue you are probably best off creating the audio files as .wav files, with the specs I mentioned... it will make it easier for the subsequent burning software, and so reduce the likelyhood of burning errors.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?