Can A Windows 95 PC handle broadband??

julius44 19:25 15 Aug 2008

Hello i got a call from a friend yesterdya, and i'm goin' round to his after work tomorrow. He and his wife share his laptop which is wireless, and he todl me that he's been given a windows 95 desktop by a friend, i just wanted to find out if this desktop would be able to handle a broadband connection. I' dont think that microsoft still do updates for windows 95 now, as most people use xp/vista, i'll have to look at the specs for the desktop tomorrow when i get ther, but i just wanted to know if the internet will work with this at all....or if is possible to install windows xp on this. they already have broadband in their house as they have a wireless connection. Any help will be appreciated, thanks,

Jules

wee eddie 19:42 15 Aug 2008

AVs and Firewalls for W98se are becoming rare birds now.

julius44 20:03 15 Aug 2008

hello wee eddie..even if theres zero protection do u think the desktop will connect online??

julius44 20:16 15 Aug 2008

Hello Beta, when u say hardware i guess u mean the modem or router??? Can i install a windwows Xp disk on it instead???

julius44 20:27 15 Aug 2008

okay i'll have to check the psecs of the desktop tomorrow when i get to my friends plase and let u know, thanks nway

dermot-titus 22:32 15 Aug 2008

a lan port. Then just use a rj45 cable to connect to the router. { I presume he has a router as to the wireless }. Click on the internet explorer icon and it should load straight away, unless the router uses a static IP address, but even that should be no problem. Just post back if it has.

dermot-titus 22:36 15 Aug 2008

"Probably zero protection available."

If the connection is via a router, it will have it's own firewall built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017