Can we find out approximate the size of a web site

Rabi 00:30 26 Mar 2007

Will be designing a web site together with students as a school project. Haven't yet designed the web site, so don't know how much space we will need on a Hosts Server. However, for various reasons, we need to purchase the domain nme and hosting package before site is designed or built, etc.

We have found some sites that are moree or less the same as we are proposig.

Is there any way, that we can visit a web site, and find out how much space that web site is, or is occupying?

Forum Editor 01:28 26 Mar 2007

You'll find that the server space offered by most professional hosting companies is more than enough, even with their basic packages. To give you an idea, an average personal website would probably not use more than around 3Mb to 4Mb, and many use a lot less. I host many sites for my clients, and they vary enormously in size - the biggest being just over 57Mb and the smallest about 1.1Mb

Rabi 02:07 26 Mar 2007

Thank you, Forum Editor. May I tell you what we would like to have on the web site, perhaps you can help in guiding us as to site capacity we will require:

About 300 web pages, about 100 of which would have pictures and text, the rest only text. These pages would cover from the home page, a page each for Academic Staff (Bio & picture), past Group pictures of students, Speeches from the last 5 years, Selection of Past exam questions, Articles submitted by students, History of the school, etc, etc.

For Gallery section, a selection of pictures, about 100 photos, currently in 7.2mp quality, want to convert to about 60k each for web site.

About 325 email addresses, one each for each member of staff and student.

No audio or video downloads. No ecommerce, no selling on web site.

Is there a way this can be roughly calculated??

Thanks for your assistance, Forum Editor.

cycoze 11:54 26 Mar 2007

A site like you describe will probably come out anywhere between 10 and 16mb.

I just checked one of my sites for you, 200 pages, approx 170 photos (approx 40kb each), approx 170 thumbs (approx 3kb each), a couple of javascripts, link buttons and logo/banner, totals 11mb.

Your emails will take up more space if you plan to use your hosted server space, normally limits can be set for each account, if they are just to be used for text with no attachments, then 5mb allowance will probably suffice.

If your putting up peoples personal existing addresses then it wont really affect the size of your site much, but that brings it`s own problems with email addresses getting harvested.

Ready reckoner's, i just add things up roughly, in your case 100 photos at approx 60kb each equals approx 6mb, i tend to add on 10% as a safe bet, totting up for pages themselves will be dependent on backgrounds and borders etc, a page like this PCA page works out at quite a large 30kb-ish where as a plainer page might come out sub 10kb, work for something between and your looking at 20kb x 300pages giving something like 6mb too.

So photos and pages might add up to approx 12mb for you, background/buttons/email space will all add more to the final size.

Others may think thats a slap dash way of working it out, all i can say is it works well enough for me.

Rabi 17:39 26 Mar 2007

Cycoze
Thank you, very grateful! Slap dash or not, I have a much better idea now of what we may require...

I am grateful to all, I know more than when I began the thread, which is the point of the forum ... isn't it??
Tks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?