Can a virus spread from a memory card into new PC

erkmatrix 18:42 22 Aug 2006

Hi before I try my machine, I don't know if my old machine had this major virus that prevented me doing anything or just basically had packed up as it was 6 years old, my question is as I'm taken out of my old PC the memory card, and soundcard to put in my new machine, just wanted to know before I try the thing if by any chance a virus can spread through the soundcard or memory card into my new machine.

Cheers
Phil

brundle 18:52 22 Aug 2006

When you say `memory card` are you referring to a memory chip? If so, no - but I'd be surprised if a 6 year old chip would fit in modern PC motherboard anyway.
The only way for a virus to transfer from the old PC to the new is if you attach your old hard-drive to the new machine and there is something lurking on there. Just make sure you have good AV software and give the drive a complete scan before using it.

erkmatrix 19:04 22 Aug 2006

I don't know if I really need bother then, the new machine come with 2Meg of RAM and I did buy last year
a 512k memory chip to go with my old machine which had two 256K chips in, I though I'd add the 512k and one of the yes 6 years old 256K chips to my new machine, but would you advise against this.

I've not turned it on yet as was waiting to make sure it OK now to install old memory, I don't want it blowin up or anything.

brundle 19:10 22 Aug 2006

2 GB is plenty, seeing as you will be opening the machine to fit a graphics card (i saw your other thread) you could take a look at the memory slots - most likely 184 pin with two cutouts to prevent fitment the wrong way round, I would guess your old chips are 168 pin.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:17 22 Aug 2006

The chance of a virus wrecking a computer beyond repair is too slim to imagine. Just ensure that your AV is up to date and that the memory is compatible.

G

erkmatrix 19:31 22 Aug 2006

they both slotting in fine so I think they are 184 pin actually, would I damage it if I tried , maybe I should just try with the 512 bought last year.

wee eddie 20:39 22 Aug 2006

The new memory will run at the same speed as the old. You will end up with very much slower memory, if it works at all.

Totally-braindead 22:42 22 Aug 2006

junipaire the Forum will need more info about the computer you had then and what you have now. Depending on how old your old computer was the new one could run faster memory and as has been said if you put slower memory in it it'll slow things down. Keep them as spares or give them to a mate. Your new PC has more than enough memory and I personally don't think its worth the bother it could cause.

wee eddie 23:07 22 Aug 2006
  VoG II 23:11 22 Aug 2006

You already have more than enough RAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?