Can virus infect CD's????

Sabi 13:21 11 Nov 2006

Hello;

My computer has gone too slow lately. I have done every thing I could to get the speed back and couldn't!

I can’t help thinking the slow speed might have been from when I borrowed a musical CD (from a friend) to copy to a new one for myself. I did it with my computer.

I am not a computer expert and my question is; is there a possibility the CD I used was infected and now it has infected my computer??? If so how do I get that (CD) cleaned?

Many thanks

Sabi

Diemmess 13:33 11 Nov 2006

Staying with the idea of a virus infected CD.

Possible, but depends on two things
Was the borrowed CD a "home burned" CD?
Like any other files it could have been infected before it was burned.

BUT

Any virus should have been flagged as soon as you attempted to read the CD assuming you are running up to date AV software.

I think you will have to look elsewhere for the slowdown.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:36 11 Nov 2006

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:37 11 Nov 2006

2. Hardware

a) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

b) Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

d) Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

Sabi 14:28 11 Nov 2006

Hi;

Thank you for your prompt replies :-)

Diemmess;

The CD I borrowed was "home burnt" from another CD borrowed!!!
The AV I use (ZAISS) did not flag any warnings which I believe is good news!
Any way how can I be sure that the CD is clean before I give it to someone else?????

Fruit Bat;
I have taken most actions you kindly pointed out (Disk clean up, Defragmenter, CCleaner, Spybot, Ewido, AvG, Kaspersky online scanner, Panda’s ActiveScan, Virusscan.jotti, Counterspy, killbox, Regfixto and Ad-Aware-which I installed permanently-) But I still couldn't tackle the problem! I am still working on it with the help of friends!
One thing I haven’t tried is limitation of “Start up programs” and “Services”

Unfortunately part two of your instructions, was too technical for me to understand or do!!! :-(

Many thanks again

Sabi

rodriguez 14:33 11 Nov 2006

Was this just a normal audio CD or did it have files on it as well?

If it was a normal audio CD - can't be infected. An audio CD doesn't even contain files, it contains a table of contents which tells the CD player how many tracks there are, how long they are, where they start and end etc. The Track01.cda files you see when you put it in a CD ROM drive are put there by Windows to show the tracks on the disc.

If it had data files on it as well - slim chance it could be infected, however your AV software should have picked it up as long as it's up to date. If it was a disc that contained MP3 files, sometimes those can have infections, but this is quite rare and the AV software should have picked up any viruses inside those as well.

Sabi 15:50 11 Nov 2006

Hi rodriguez;

Thanks for your reply.

Your message put my mind at rest a bit :-) Because the CD I copied was pure "Audio" and no data! :-)
However I am not sure if it is "MP3" !!

Will I be able to know if it is "MP3" by listening to it???
Sorry I am in a dark when it comes to these things!!!

Many thanks

Sabi

Sabi 18:05 11 Nov 2006

Hi;

I checked “Services” through “Administrative tools” (control panel) and found 93 Services running out of which 6 were disabled! They were:
Alerter, Clip Book, Human Interface Devices, Messenger, Net Work DDE, Network DDE DSDM, Routery and Access.

I also checked “ msconfig” “Start up” program and found 36 out of many were stopped under “Status”

I don’t understand this but could this be the reason that my computer running slow?? If so which program do I need to activate and how??

Many thanks

Sabi

Totally-braindead 19:01 11 Nov 2006

How much space have you used on your main C drive and how much is free? If there is little space free this can slow things up. As can any programs running in the background of your PC. Look in the taskbar bottom right and see whats there, anything that is listed is actually running and the more things you have running the slower it will get.

Sabi 22:08 11 Nov 2006

Hi;

The total size of C drive is 37.2GB and the free space is 13GB. There are 59 processes running in Task Manager. The problem is I don’t know what they are for or what they do!!!
If I knew what was what, I would delete or disable the irrelevant ones.
At the moment the “opening pages”, “page download” or start up takes for ever to open.

Any suggestions??

Many thanks

Sabi

postie24 22:14 11 Nov 2006

Download free trial ot tune up utilities.Tat should sort probs out.Will tell you whats running and what they are used for.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?