Can Vibrations cause bad sectors?

nufc2009 23:33 25 Apr 2009

hi, yesterday i had to remove a 500gb hard drive because it had 8kb of bad sector - and wouldn't boot past the POST screen.

i swapped it out and put a 250gb hdd in i had lying around, CHKDSK shows no bad sectors on this disk but occasionally i can hear vibrations coming from the hard disk. Could this cause possible future bad sectors?

Cheers

DieSse 23:48 25 Apr 2009

Depends what's vibrating and why. There will always be a minute vibration from the spindle motor - and there will be greater and intermittent vibrations from the actuator (the device that moves the heads).

If vibrations get too severe, then this might cause problems - but at such a stage the drive is beginning to mechanically fail anyway.

nufc2009 12:41 26 Apr 2009

i think the vibrations are coming from the chassis of the case, where the drive is installed. if i touch down on the hard drive gently the vibrations stop, its not mega loud but gets annoying, that and i wondered if smallish vibrations could got a hard drive to develop problems.

cheers

citadel 14:52 26 Apr 2009

you can get hard drive anti vibration kits.

SB23 15:05 26 Apr 2009

My old hd had a rubber sleeve around it, maybe for that very reason. I've not used it since, as it didn't fit the replacement, but couldn't you get a thin piece of rubber or sticky felt pads, attach to the hd, then refit to the chassis. I've seen it done, might cure the problem.

nufc2009 15:15 26 Apr 2009

worth a try i guess, if i can get in for all the wires in there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?