can u partion sata hdd after instaling vista

simon33 13:39 05 Jun 2008

i have just bought 5 days ago a brand new pc intel duo core with a 320gb hdd and 2gb memory ive installed windows vista ultimate i am a begginer by the way can i partion the hard drive now and splitt into 2 drives pleaze pleaze pleaze help urgent thanks

stylehurst 14:20 05 Jun 2008

Yes you can partition the HDD after installation of Vista but you will need to use something like Acronis Disk Director Suite.
You CANNOT use the partitioning tools on the Vista installation disk.

sinbads 15:08 05 Jun 2008

use the shrink option in drive management right click on C drive select shrink volume choose the size you want to shrink and apply

sinbads 15:14 05 Jun 2008

sorry just noticed (i am beginner) easy to follow instructions click here

ventanas 16:55 05 Jun 2008

Another page that shows how to do it

click here

simon33 20:10 05 Jun 2008

ok thanks for info but i really am a begginner so here it goes ive got one hdd 320 gb its my c drive can i do it so i have got a c drive and a d drive c drive 4 windows and programs d drive for music films and stuff thats what i really need to know pleaze help thanks

sinbads 21:12 05 Jun 2008

Yes once you have shrunk your C drive say to 80gb the remaing 240gb will become D select my Docs/my pics/my music right click / properties change the location to D drive sorted.

the shrink values are just guides you input other values of your choice

ventanas 21:32 05 Jun 2008

Not quite, after you shrink the full partition you will be left with your existing C drive, and a partition consisting of unallocated space. You will need to format this space, by right clicking on it, choose the type of partition you want (simple) and the file system (NTFS), and then allocate a drive letter. I would leave D alone as that is probably the letter of your optical drive.

simon33 12:52 06 Jun 2008

ok lads thanks for all your help one more question where is drive mangement pleaze cheers

PO79 13:02 06 Jun 2008

Right click "Computer" Icon on desktop, select "Manage" then "Disk Management"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone