Can someone help with Vista upgrade?

25paul 09:07 01 Feb 2007

I ran the upgrade advisor tool which said I could upgrade from xp to vista home premium. I intended to do an ‘upgrade in-place’ so that my settings and applications would be retained.
I ran the installation disc and can get as far as
the window which asks 'what type of installation do you want ? and it states that 'upgrade has been disabled.'
'to upgrade windows your hard disk partition must be formatted to NTFS.
to reformat the partition, open Command Prompt and then type: convert C:/fs:ntfs.
i tried this but it then asks to enter current volume label for drive C:
where do i find this ?

any help would be much appreciated.
i am going to work just now but won't be long before i'm back.

Technotiger 09:13 01 Feb 2007

Hi, can't help you myself, but I think you would do better to put this into the Vista Forum - on the left of this page.

PaulB2005 09:24 01 Feb 2007

Open My Computer and look at your C Drive.

What is it called?

Mine is Main Disk (C:) so the Volume Label is "Main Disk"

25paul 13:52 01 Feb 2007

thanks, i'll put it in the vista forum

Genius1 22:07 02 Feb 2007

Just so you know, it is not advisable to post in more than one topic.

Taken from the forum rules:

Multiple threads – Don’t post more than one thread on the same subject. If, after a while you feel that your thread
isn’t attracting any attention, add a ‘refresh’ post to it (see ‘Refresh’ in ‘forum terminology’ above), rather than
starting a new thread, and keep all feedback in the original thread – even if several days has elapsed since you first
posted it. Several threads posted on the same subject by the same person will confuse and irritate other forum
users who may be trying to help.

Technotiger 22:16 02 Feb 2007

Multiple Threads - that means Threads on same subject, within the same Forum. 25Paul is more likely to get more responses by putting this into the Windows Vista Forum, which is why I so advised.

Cheers

PaulB2005 08:25 03 Feb 2007

Also means posting multiple threads on the same subject and is also frowned upon, because it scatters responses over more than one thread.

If it should be moved ask the FE to move it. Don't just repost it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?