Can someone help please

angeleyes1968 13:56 02 Dec 2007

Hi

Can someone please tell me in simple terms how i can delete xp pro from my sons very slow old pc and install windows 2000?

Let me explain he has a old pc which was brought with 2000 installed the person who had it befor him upgraded to xp pro which has slowed it down to the point it takes 15 mins to open a page.

We figure if we get rid of xp it will be faster. Now i am new to all this stuff so please can you advice with simple instructions. Im not stupid just never done it before and dont want to mess the whole thing up more.

johnnyrocker 14:00 02 Dec 2007

a better heading might have got more response as the post might easily be passed by someone who could help. just a tip for future. one needs memory details etcetera to be of further use.

johnny.

johnny.

MAJ 14:16 02 Dec 2007

XP would slow an old computer down if there is a small processor and very little memory in there. Can you post the spec of the computer? Right-click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, choose properties from the menu and tell us what it says about which processor and how much memory is installed?

angeleyes1968 14:23 02 Dec 2007

ok well im not sure but if it helps its an old packard bell i media.

johnnyrocker 14:25 02 Dec 2007

does not give enough away.

johnny.

angeleyes1968 14:26 02 Dec 2007

Hi thanks for the response i have done that but no details are coming up there. All i can say is its an old packard bell imedia which was originally windows millenium and the guy upgraded to xp pro which even i know will slow it down.

FungusBoggieman 14:32 02 Dec 2007

On systems with the original software your serial number can be read from a program called 'SnapSys' or a software tool on this page. Snapsys can be found under 'Packard Bell Support' in the start menu. When started, the titlebar of the program will display your serial number.

johnnyrocker 14:32 02 Dec 2007

where are you looking?

johnny

FungusBoggieman 14:35 02 Dec 2007

click here ckick here then eccept

johnnyrocker 14:38 02 Dec 2007

i dont believe the poster is looking for the serial number?

johnny.

MAJ 14:43 02 Dec 2007

Go to Start > Run and type in:

dxdiag

and click OK. That will tell you the processor and amount of memory installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone