can send but not receive e-mails

Dixie10 17:38 20 Nov 2008

My desktop recently had to have Windows XP re-installed as it just kept freezing and I eventually got the blue screen of death. Anyway took it in to a repair shop and I'm gradually getting everthing back on track. My only problem is with e-mail. I'm with Orange and use Microsoft Outlook,(2000 I think) I've entered all the relevant settings i.e. user name, password,e-mail address, the POP3 and SMTP settings, when I click on tools, e-mail accounts add/change e-mail account and select test account settings, it does send the message only not to Outlook (if I log onto the Orange website I can download my mail from there)the error message is "Unable to logon to the incoming mail server (POP3)Please verify the settings in the user name password and e-mail fields". I know these are correct, if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

thanks

oldbeefer2 18:06 20 Nov 2008

I get exactly the same message when I try to send a test message, but normal emails are received OK. It is like this on both my computers (Outlook 2003)- odd

beeuuem 18:10 20 Nov 2008

Can you send an email to yourself?
The settings for the incoming mail server are
incoming mail

Username: yourname.orangehome.co.uk

pop.orangehome.co.uk Note that this is entered as 'pop' only not 'pop3.orangehome.co.uk'

Dixie10 18:21 20 Nov 2008

beeuuem

My user name is [email protected] and I have only entered pop not pop3 (I did try both) I've tried using both wanadoo and orange in the POP and SMPT bits but neither work. I do seem to be able to send myself a message but it doesn't come back to me in outlook I only know this part works by logging onto my e-mail account on the Orange website.

oldbeefer2 18:42 20 Nov 2008

Have you gone to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programmes and made Outlook your default email programme?

Dixie10 18:51 20 Nov 2008

oldbeefer2

Yes Outlook is my default e-mail programme.

oldbeefer2 19:00 20 Nov 2008

Clutching at straws, but in Outlook - Tools, Options, Other, General - is Outlook the default email programme there?

Dixie10 19:34 20 Nov 2008

oldbeefer2

Yup, just checked it and Outlook is the default programme.

beeuuem 19:43 20 Nov 2008

I am only asking :=) but have you had it working in the past? This threadclick here suggests that fs mail won't work with Outlook.

beeuuem 19:59 20 Nov 2008

You can get fs mail to Outlook using Freepops. click here and the plugin click here. Once setup it runs in the background and you download fs mail as a normal account.
I use Freepops for my t21 account.

FreeCell 21:08 20 Nov 2008

Have you tried:
[email protected]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?