Can see wireless network but can't connect

ashie12000 10:49 27 Nov 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues connecting to the wireless network in the block of flats I live in. We have an unsecured network that everyone else in my flat can connect to except me. I used to be able to, but for some reason now I can't, although my Wi-fi adapter can see it. My flatmates all have Wireless cards in the PCMCIA (?) slots, but unfortunately I don't have one of these so I can't even try theirs out. Does anyone have any theories on why my laptop picks up the network but can't connect to it? I don't think it's a signal strength problem, as the signal strength shows 4 bars out of 5.

Thanks

Taff™ 11:52 27 Nov 2006

If it`s an unsecured router one of your "mates" might have blocked your laptop. Has this just happened today?

ashie12000 12:13 27 Nov 2006

It happened about a week ago. Sounds like the most likely reason. Assume my MAC address has been blocked, and if so I just need to change that?

Technotiger 12:26 27 Nov 2006

Hmmm, does the unsecured network belong to one of your mates, or to someone else in the block of flats? If the latter, you might unknowingly be breaking the law by logging on to the network,
if the owner does not know about it.

Taff™ 12:47 27 Nov 2006

What make of router is it? We`ll give you the default log in but if they`ve blocked your MAC address they`ve probably changed the password as well. As Technotiger suggests, whose router / ISP connection is it and is this authorised use? If so you should take it up with the owner really.

ashie12000 13:06 27 Nov 2006

It's a Netgear DG834G router. Could they have changed the password even if the network is still unsecured? The owner of the router is a bit of a grey area, to be honest. When we moved into the flat the landlord told us there was free broadband access which he'd arranged with one of the other flats, and it's been fine up until now. I don't know which flat it is though, and the landlord has gone to Australia to watch the Ashes, so he's incommunicado at the moment.

Technotiger 14:12 27 Nov 2006

Looks as if the router owner might have made some changes, perhaps you could ask around to try and find out which flat he is in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache