can see computer on network but cannot access

bemuzed 21:52 30 Aug 2006

I've got two PCs (PC1 and PC2) connected to a router then out to the interent which works fine. Both use Windows Me. I have sat ny PC1 and through Folder/properties allowed access to folders. When I sit on PC2 and click on PC1 under "My Network Places" I get an error message saying "Windows cannot find PC1..." or somethign very similar. Any ideas?
I am trying to transer data files form PC2 to PC1 via my router.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 30 Aug 2006

Have you set any shared folders on the second PC?

Check firewall settings outgoing PC2 Incomming PC1.

bemuzed 22:06 30 Aug 2006

there are shared folders on both PCs and if I switch firewalls off the problem remains. I guess what confuses me is that PC2 knows PC1 is there as it appears under "My network places" but if I click on PC1 it says it cannot find PC1?

Longhouse 22:06 30 Aug 2006

I had some problems with WinME network and read somewhere (can't think where) that TCP/IP, WinME and networking could be a bit flakey.

I managed to get things stable by disabling file & printer sharing over TCP/IP but enabled via IPX/SPx & Netbeui. I left client for MS Networks enabled on all. I now have several machines on the network, all using WinME and sucessfully connected to the internet via a router / modem.

bemuzed 22:12 30 Aug 2006

I added netbui to PC2. Cannot do to PC1 until daughter stops playing Sims. I'll try that tomorrow. I udes to have it working fine until I reloaded Win me on both machines after both had unassociated problems.

bemuzed 22:30 30 Aug 2006

I've done a bit more messing about and it was a firewall problem after all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?