Can a router store a virus?

JuliaT 20:24 03 Jul 2008

My son's laptop is infected with a virus that has totally messed it up and made it almost unusable. He's coming over this weekend and wants me to help him sort it out. My concern is that if he connects it to the Internet via our router the virus could get onto the other PCs that use the router. I'll make sure that all the others are switched off when he's connected. But I'm just concerned that the router could store the virus and then pass it onto the other PCs when they are switched on. Is this possible? The other PCs have Norton 360 running on them. Will this be sufficient to protect them? My son, unfortunately, thinks that Anti-Virus software slows down a PC too much..........

sinbads 20:36 03 Jul 2008

You're router can't get a virus. But if you don't change the default password on your router then someone else can login to it and lock you out of it.

MarvintheAndroid 20:50 03 Jul 2008

Tell him firmly he is acting like an expletive deleted idiot!!

A number of anti-virus packages have a very small footprint, Avast antivirus is small and free for home use, and NOD32 by ESET is even smaller but not free. No excuses.

For your info, Trend Micro do a free online virus scanner which will check and disinfect a machine while online.

click here

Hopefully you will be able to disinfect the machine, but key files may have been damaged beyond repair and end up being deleted, in which case a re-install may be required. There is also a good chance that he may already have infected other machines (via email etc) or unknowingly participated in an attack on other machines or networks.

Finally, once clean, he should change any passwords which were stored in the machine as they may have been compromised, and keep a close eye on any bank and/or credit card statements for the next month or so.

Marv

JuliaT 20:53 03 Jul 2008

Thanks for this. I have already changed the default password on the router.

JuliaT 21:38 03 Jul 2008

Many thanks for all your recommendations. Figures crossed we'll be able to get it sorted.

woodchip 22:05 03 Jul 2008

Why not let it RIP. Bury it, if he will not have AV on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?