Can the router stand alone?

Dumble452 10:37 21 Jun 2004

I don't seem to be able to find a straight forward answer to this question from the sites I have visited.

In order to avoid having to pay Telewest £75 to move their box, and to have a more flexible system in the future, can I connect my cable modem to a wireless router and have my PC in a different location?

The on-line manuals I have looked at seem to indicate that a cable connects the router to the main PC and wireless connection is then used for satellite PCs. Is this correct?

I only have one PC so I am not considering setting up a network as such at present.

Yes you can do it. You will need to buy a wireless router and wireless network card. Your modem plugs into the router then your PC connects to the router using the wireless network card.

bratty 11:11 21 Jun 2004

I too just want my PC remote from the modem and router, so I checked the manuals which state that you use the cable to connect the PC to the router, but that isn't necessary.

The manual assumes you are setting up a network, but if you have the wireless receiver in your PC you need no cable connecting any PC to the router.

(this info came from a tech guy in a computer shop, so take this info as you see it.)
If it doesn't work, just take the router back!

Retired Hurt 11:14 21 Jun 2004

I have a router which connects to the phone line, but which can then make a wireless connection to my PC. The maybe(above)is because I have actually chosen to connect to my PC by cable. I do however connect fron the router to my laptop by wireless connection from the same router - this works perfectly. You will need the appropriate card installed to your PC to make the wireless connection to the router Cost unknown - maybe this is available?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017