Can play DVD but not Blu-ray

Trevman 19:30 02 Jan 2015

I have a PC with a Pioneer BDR-208M Blu-Ray burner, which plays DVDs fine, but won't play Blu-Ray disks. I have Nero 2014 fully licensed, but just get the error message that the disc won't play. I get the same on VLC. Checking via Windows control panel tells me the driver is up to date. I'm on Windows 7 64bit. Any ideas? Thanks...

rdave13 19:43 02 Jan 2015

If a new drive and VLC won't play Blue-ray you might have to RMA it.

Trevman 13:02 03 Jan 2015

Thanks for the comment. You may well be right - it's out of warranty, though. However, it was working ok - I recently replaced my processor and motherboard, and that seems to have done for it. I keep thinking I must be missing something obvious. The graphics card was not replaced - ATI Radeon HD2600XT, though again the driver is up to date and apparently working fine.

Ian in Northampton 13:39 03 Jan 2015

Obvious question, I know - but have you tried the disk in another player?

Bris 13:56 03 Jan 2015

There is a lengthy discussion here that may give you some ideas.

Have you tried burning a Blu-Ray disc?

Trevman 14:39 03 Jan 2015

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have tried the disk in another player and it's fine. I've also tried a few other (including older) disks, but get the same error.

Burning a Blu-ray disk is also fine - it burns, and reads back the data.

Strangely, it seems to read Blu-ray film disks, in that it displays the film title when viewed in Windows explorer - but then won't play the film.

I'm wondering if it's some sort of codec issue? Or is it that my graphics card supports up to DirectX 10, while DirectX 11 is now on the system?

Still baffled....

Bris 15:01 03 Jan 2015

You could try downloading the K-Lite codec pack its free and the standard version comes with 321 player which is similar to VLC.

The fact that it burns and reads Blu-Ray discs proves that the drive mechanics and electronics are fine so its down to the OS, codecs, drivers or firmware or a combination of these.

If you can view the contents of the disc expand the BDAV>STREAM folders, right click on one of the 1GB files and choose "play with VLC". Does it play?

rdave13 15:12 03 Jan 2015

PotPayer will play anything, even your webcam. Download it from the MajorGeeks link in the list here. On installing it will download the extra codecs. If that doesn't play the Blu ray then nothing will.

Trevman 15:26 03 Jan 2015

Hi Bris, rdave13 - thanks for replies.

Playing one of the BDMV STREAM files does not produce an error message, but the VLC screen remains blank, apart from the VLC "traffic cone" logo.

Will have a go with PotPlayer.

With thanks...

Trevman 15:47 03 Jan 2015

PotPlayer won't play Blu-ray either! Though fine, it seems with DVD!

rdave13 15:58 03 Jan 2015

In the dropdown menu top left, selecting open then selecting Open Blu-ray it's not trying to play the disc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires